The SALSA Weekly is a weekly curated playlist/post on the SALSA blog, wherein members of SALSA will submit one song they have been digging the past week, and a sentence or two as to why.
What Sort of Posts Will These Be?
Makyo and Lu will be curating both a post on the SALSA blog with our brief descriptions, and a playlist on Spotify.
Does the Song Need to Be a New Release?
Heck no! Any song you’ve been really enjoying during the week counts. And hey, if there’s nothing that’s jumped out at you during the week, just submit an old favourite of yours, too. We won’t know!
Does My Song Need to Be on Spotify?
Heck no! It’s just the easiest place to make a playlist, and if it does exist on Spotify, at least we can share it that way. But if it’s a Bandcamp, SoundCloud, or artist website exclusive, the website blog post will be for embedding those links as well.
Okay, I’m Game. What Are the Parameters?
Follow this handy guide:
- Be a SALSAzen
- The name you want to submit under (including a Twitter handle, if you so choose).
- Song and artist name.
- One to two sentences of why you’ve been digging it.
- Where it can be found (just the name of the website/streaming service. NB: this should be as silly as possible)
- A link to the song so Makyo and I know what we’re looking for.
When Is This Due?
Starting on Thursdays, we’ll pin this submission spreadsheet to the Telegram chat so that people can submit their songs. We are aiming to have the blog and playlist updated every Sunday, so we need submissions by a nebulous “in the evening on Saturday”. We decided on the soft deadline of 10:00 EST, but if you get your submission to us a little after, that’s also okay. The cut-off is more for Makyo and Lu’s sanity than anything else.
How Will the Spotify Playlist Be Organized?
Randomly, every week. Lu will put everyone’s submissions into a highly scientific randomizer and put the playlist together that way. No one gets favoritism here–we’re all submitting equally cool music.
Do You Have Any Candy?
Yeah but just Dum-Dums. Sorry, kid.
List of weekly songs so far
- John Grant - Snug Slacks
- World/Inferno Friendship Society - Cats Are Not Lucky Creatures
- Broken Social Scene - Gonna Get Better
- Wells Fargo – Coming Home
- Matthew Good Band - Running for Home
- Hop Along - Tibetan Pop Stars
- Childish Gambino – Boogieman
- Ben Gibbard - The Concept
- Queen - Play the Game
- Donald Fagen - I.G.Y.
- LCD Soundstyem - You Can’t Hide / Shame on You
- Ezra Furman - Tell Em All to Go to Hell
- Rubblebucket - Came Out of a Lady
- Baths - Yeoman
- Moses Sumney - Quarrel
- Diarrhea Planet - Ghost With A Boner
- Bibio - Light Up The Sky
- Meniscus- Doom
- The Library- You Don’t Need No Doctor, Sugar
- London Grammar- Non Believer
- Allie X- Paper Love
- Paramore- Rose-colored Boy
- TRUTHR- Earth II
- DJ Shadow - Horror Show
- Mutemath - Prytania
- Mondo Grosso- ラビリンス
- clipping. - The Deep
- Pryapisme - Totipotence D’un Erg
- ★STAR GUiTAR- Live
- Zola Jesus - Exhumed
- Oathbreaker- 10:56 / Second Son of R.
- Protest the Hero - Caravan
- Rapsody - Power
- Kamasi Washington- Truth
- Swirlies - One Light Flashing I Love You
- Kincaid - Parachute
- Women - Group Transport Hall
- Spare Snare - As a Matter of Fact
- Strange Ranger - House Show
- Electro Group - Captain New Mexico
- Galaxie 500 - Tugboat
- The Waterboys - This Is The Sea
- Boards of Canada - Turquoise Hexagon Sun
- Sky Ferreira - Werewolf
- My Bloody Valentine - I only said
- Dengue Fever - Sni Bong
- This Will Destroy You - Killed The Lord, Left For the New World
- Stravinsky - The National Anthem
- Fleet Foxes - Mykonos
- Beach House - The Hours
- Matthew Good - Running For Home
- Boards of Canada - nlogax
- Magnus Palsson - Pressure Cooker
- Mogwai - Crossing the Road Material
- Muse - Map of the Problematique
- Dave Brubeck - Blue Rondo à la Turk
- Solange - Left Side Drive
- The Books - Smells Like Content
- Doves - The Man Who Sold Everything
- Darren Hayes - A Conversation With God
- Yeasayer - Divine Simulacrum
- Magik*Magik - Front of the Line
- Fire Inc. - Nowhere Fast
- Basement Jaxx vs. Metropole Orkest - Good Luck
- Cyndi Lauper - When You Were Mine
- Adore Delano - Negative Nancy
- Kesha - Finding You
- The Beaches - Little Pieces
- Lesley Gore - It’s My Party
- Neil Patrick Harris, Hedwig and the Angry Inch Cast - Midnight Radio
- Nick Drake - Things Behind the Sun
- Celine Neon - Lengua
- Worriers - They/Them/Theirs
- Everything Everything - Cough Cough
- Hiatus Kaiyote - Mobius Streak
- Vitas - Opera 2
- Todd Reynolds/Nick Zammuto - Fast Pasture
- Shawn Wasabi - Otter Pop
- Shpongle - Room 23
- Truxton - Automation Astrosmash
- Leonard Bernstein - Symphony 3 “Kaddish”
- Nujabes - Luv (Sic)
- XTC - Complicated Game
- Stravinsky - Le Rossignol prelude
- Singularity - Print
- Vulfpeck ft. Antwaun Stanley - Birds of a feather, we rock together
- Godspeed You! Black Emperor - rockets fall on Rocket Falls
- Django Django - Found You
- Tan Dun - Ghost Opera
- Negrita - Rotolando Verso Sud
- Frost* - Heartstrings
- That Handsome Devil - Elephant Bones
- Busdriver - Imaginary Places
- Hrishikesh Hirway - Song Exploder
- Dengue Fever - Sni Bong
- Louis Cole - Weird Part of the Night
- Ihsahn - Between the Eagle and the Snake
- Phideaux - Microdeath Softstar
- The Pine Box Boys - Will You Remember Me?
- Sidewalks and Skeletons - The Void
- Charisma.com - NOW
- Pedestrian Deposit - You Didn’t Break Me
- Angel Olsen - Shut Up Kiss Me
- †‡† - Baba Vanga
- Mykki Blanco - The Plug Won’t
- Carly Rae Jepsen - Cut To The Feeling
- Sote - Plural
- Yuragi - night is young
- Brockhampton - JUNKY
- Fiona Apple - Fast As You Can
- Deerhoof - I Will Spite Survive (feat. Jenn Wasner)
- Björk - Pluto
- The World Is A Beautiful Place & I Am No Longer Afraid To Die - The Future
- Yaeji - Last Breath
- Kelela - Onanon
- Lemon Demon - When He Died
- Soulja Boy - Anime
- Streetlight Manifesto - A Better Place A Better Time
- Tchami - World To Me (feat. Luke James)
- The Mary Nixons - Adrian
- Metrik - Hi!
- Above & Beyond - My Own Hymn (feat. Zoë Johnston)
- Chris Lake - Give Her Right Back (feat. Dances With White Girls)